Monday, October 12, 2015

One Step at a Time


When I was in Utah over the summer we took an awesome hike to the Bear Canyon Suspension bridge above Wasatch Boulevard in Draper.  The Bear Canyon Suspension Bridge is located on the east side of Draper in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountain Range. The bridge spans 185 feet across Bear Canyon and connects the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.  Since it is new this year and my parents have never seen it, I convinced them to take the hike when I was visiting this weekend.  It's about a mile hike to the bridge and I was pretty confident that they could do it.  I remembered it being fairly easy with just a few steep parts.  I thought they could take it slow and steady and make it just fine.
Well, it was an adventure to be sure!  It ended up being a little steeper and a little longer than I had remembered and the parents kind of struggled.  My mom tripped on the very first step and went down.  She wasn't hurt and we got a good laugh out of it.  It wasn't the best way to start a hike!  With their walking sticks in hand, they just kept plugging along.  I kept thinking the bridge was just around the corner and then it wasn't.  Oh well....we actually did finally make it to the bridge and took in the beautiful view of the valley.
Kamryn, Stephen, and Easton were the first ones to reach the bridge.

Mom chose not to walk across the bridge because it can be a little bouncy and it sways.  She just rested on the bench.
Easton
Enjoying the view off the bridge...the reward after the long, hot hike.



We definitely had an adventure and made some new memories.  My dad said he was glad he saw it but he was never doing that again!

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen this bridge in my life. How long was the hike? Would I be able to handle it? Where does it start?

    ReplyDelete