Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cake



The annual Cub Scout cake decorating contest rolls around every year, ready or not. This year seemed rushed (what's new?) and stressful. Easton and I decided he would do the treasure chest cake that has been created numerous times with great success! I went to the store early in the morning so I could get the supplies to make the cake before Easton got home from school and then have ample time to freeze it. You all know that it's easier to frost a frozen cake, right? Well, upon getting home I realized that I purchased everything to make the cake except the cake mix. DUH!!! Not wanting to go to the store again I just made one from scratch...crazy, but true. It was a beautiful chocolate cake. Easton had a blast decorating the cake with gooey frosting and bright-colored candies.Competition was incredible among the cub scouters as the cakes were placed on display in the cultural hall. The creativity and orginality was just amazing. Easton took third place. We were proud of him even though he was a little miffed about not placing first. The treasure chest cake has found success again...it has always been a winner, no matter what contest it was entered in. One year it even took $75 at a girls' camp fundraiser auction!

2 comments:

  1. WE ARE SO HAPPY THAT THE cCARROLL FAMILY HAS EASTON. HE HELPS KEEP HIS MOTHER ON TOP OF THINGS. AND TO THINK THE WINNING CAKE WAS A MADE FROM SCRATCH ! MOM SHOULD GET A RIBBON FOR THAT!!
    EASTON YOU DID A SUPER JOB DECORATING YOUR TREASURE CHEST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you made a homemade cake,,,!!! I have never done that before, i'm sure you have, but wow, i'm impressed. Easton, that is awesome that you got 3rd place, i think i've been to one of those cake contests before,, dallin i think made one.. ha ha. And, I just learned something today.. had no clue it was easier to frost a frozen cake, I would have never thought of that... thanks for the tip! I need more tips like that.

    ReplyDelete