Monday, July 1, 2013

Another Project

 Here we go again....more yard work and projects.  I am just going down my master plan of projects and getting them done.  I have been wanting to plant a vegetable garden on the second level of the front yard section.  Before Dallin left on his mission I had him clear off the nasty hedge that was growing on that level.  It's the only spot in my whole yard that gets enough sunlight during the day to have a garden.  Well, we're finally getting after it!
Because it has a little slope on the ledge for the rain run off we decided that we had to build our garden in two levels so all of our awesome garden soil wouldn't run off the edge when we watered or it rained.  We are in the process of building the levels with timbers and rebar.  It's taken me longer to get this done, which is frustrating for me, but I must learn to be patient and do a little bit at a time.  I like to finish things in one day and this is just not one of those projects.  We got over half way done building the levels on Saturday and my goal is to have to new soil brought in and the garden plants and seeds in the ground by Friday or Saturday.  We'll keep you posted!
Our original plan was to build the level one with one timber and level two with two timbers and then dig out the dirt and bring in the good stuff to fill it back up.  After taking numerous trips with a very heavy, full wheel barrel we came up with a better plan.  Our new plan in to build each level up higher with another timber.  This way we don't have to dig out the dirt, we just make the area deeper so we have to fill it it!!!  Aren't we clever?  So we are doing raised gardens!  And with that new plan I have to take another trip to Lowes and buy some more timbers.  It's at times like these that I miss my old Expedition....that truck had some serious cargo holding capacity!  I could only fit 8 timbers in my cute, little Explorer.



3 comments:

  1. wow, making progress there I see. good for you. I have some ideas for your backyard when you get to that. I took a bunch of pictures there in April and I will show you a sketch with plants later when you come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, actually, Keith wrote the previous comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite the project sister. you've been possessed and obsessed! When you come to Utah, I'll put you to work decorating, painting, and planting!

    ReplyDelete