Monday, February 23, 2009

Ebony and Ivory

Landon and Dallin participated in a very interesting cultural experience yesterday. They were invited to participate with the Stake YM choir to perform at the Gwinnett United Ebony Society's annual Black History Month Reception. "Interesting" is the word that comes to mind to describe it. They sang a rousing version of Called to Serve and then Dallin sang a duet with one of the Elders in our ward. The people in the audience were dressed in colorful, bright outfits with hats, matching shoes, and JEWELRY!!! Lots of shouting and hallelujahs throughout the program could be heard. The pastor who was to give the opening prayer couldn't make it so they announced that Elder K would be giving the prayer. It was surprising to see a cute little blonde missionary walking to the podium to give the invocation. He started by saying how grateful we were to be meeting for this....blah, blah, blah. "AMEN! Uh huh!" Throughout the entire prayer comments were made by the audience. Elder K said a fabulous prayer and was very composed considering the fact that he isn't used to shouts of hallelujahs being called out why praying. From there it just got more interesting. I've included a picture of the keynote speaker--a loud, energetic preachers wife dressed from head to toe in black and gold! She was quite the woman and really got the crowd going!!!!! I kept watching the boys in the choir--their facial expressions were priceless. We enjoyed songs being sung by an all-black Baptist choir. The program was long and definitely an experience unlike anything I've ever been to. Nice that our boys had a missionary experience and helped to build bridges in the community.
Dallin warms up with Elder K.
The keynote speaker dressed in her finery!

Dallin and Landon getting ready to perform.

7 comments:

  1. That is freaking awesome! I think it's great how moved and into the music and the message they are. What a great experience for your boys. Dallin sounded awesome... Really cool you guys. I don't think I've ever been to an uproarius meeting like that... (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish that I could have known about this I would have gone. I love when Dallin sings, he has an amazing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha oh my gosh. i'm in the library right now watching this and holy cow- i probably look nuts because I've been laughing at my computer for like 5 minutes. Dallin sounded great, though. And this elder... how long has he been out? :)
    -ashton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dallin sounded wonderful, what a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Dallin had a great voice. I got chills listening to him. What a great opportunity for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the whole experience for the LDS Youth. And Dallin and Elder L sounded wonderful. Dallin was too far away from the MIke.
    There was a theatre show in Rochestere about the hats the Black Women wear. It played and played. I wished I could have seen it. It was a musical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun/intresting experience for the YM. Dallin sounded great as usual.

    ReplyDelete