Friday, August 9, 2013

Minty Fresh

 I love this picture....my Aunt Jane and I.  My aunt has been making the most delicious, melt in your mouth butter mints for as long as I can remember.  She makes them for every family gathering and has made thousands and thousands and given them to brides for their wedding receptions.  As a matter of fact, she brought lovely light pink ones to my wedding!  Landon asked me a while back if I knew how to make them and I told him no....and that it's a very difficult process to master.  People have tried to learn, with no success.  We decided then and there that we would have Aunt Jane personally teach us the secret to mint making success when we were out in Utah for our summer vacation.
A nice, dry sunny day was planned for and my Dad went and picked up the mint making genius and brought her to the house with her tools of the trade; a pot, spoon, a Taylor candy thermometer, a slab of marble, and an eye dropper.  It had to be a sunny day because there can't be any moisture in the air or they won't set up properly...could be a problem in humid Georgia. Aunt Jane shared the history of the recipe.  My Great Aunt Lu created the mint recipe with a friend through trial and error in the 1920's and made them often for friends and family.  Aunt Lu's friend eventually went commercial with the recipe and it caused some hard feelings.  Aunt Lu always kept the recipe for family only!  I'm hoping that I can master the mint making skill and continue the legacy.
 Landon and his Great Aunt Jane
 Aunt Jane gets everything set up before she starts making the mints.  Some of the steps require speed and efficiency so everything has to be ready!
 My Dad and his sister, Jane!
 Aunt Jane checks the temperature of the boiling candy solution.  It needs to reach 250-252 degrees.

Our little helpers, Kaitlyn, Kamryn, and Easton


1 comment:

  1. oh brother,,, i'm soo nervous. let me know how your first batch turns out. I need a blasted marble!

    ReplyDelete