Thursday, September 26, 2013

21 Years

 
My boy, Dallin has a birthday today, he's 21 years old.  I have to admit that this is a hard one for me.  Because Dallin is serving a two year mission for our church in Recife, Brazil, I will miss giving him his birthday hug and singing a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday to him as I watch him blow out birthday candles.

 I don't get to plan his birthday dinner with his favorite food choices and watch him smile as he enjoys his special menu items.  And I won't see him open his presents with anticipation.  As a Mother you want each birthday for your child to be special and above all, you want your child to know he is loved. 
I miss Dallin but he is where he should be right now in his life.  I wouldn't want him to be doing anything else but serving the people of Recife, Brazil and teaching people about Jesus Christ. 

Twenty one years old is a pretty big birthday...for a lot of young adults 21 is that "magical" age where you are legally able to drink alcohol.
Celebrations of turning 21 often times include a trip to the local drinking place to cheer on this coming of age time with a swig or two.
 
When I compare that scenario with what my 21 year old son is doing on his 21st birthday I feel extreme gratitude.  He is doing amazing things with his life and with the lives of others.



He chose to serve others and the Lord.  He is working daily to teach people the gospel and about Jesus Christ.  The life experiences he is having right now are changing him into a man.  Dallin is an example to his family and me.  I feel blessed to be his mother, especially on his birthday.  And even though he is missed, I thank the Lord daily that he is doing BIG things with his life. 





I am grateful for the blessing of being able to miss him and for the reason that he's not here.  I wouldn't want it any other way.
 So, I send out a loving Happy Birthday to my wonderful son from a very proud and blessed Mother.

2 comments: