Saturday, May 31, 2014

Just a Little Project

Summer is in full swing here in Georgia and with the warmer weather I get the bug to head outside and get the yard work going!  this week I finished up a project that was started at the end of summer last year.  I purchased these stackstone bricks to create retaining walls for some of my flower beds.  I have actually fought doing this for years because I just don't like the contrived, predictable look of the retaining walls.  But, after battling the loss of dirt and erosion over time, I succumbed.
 I began working on the front beds with the stones that had been waiting on my driveway turn around spot for six months.  It went rather quickly and the bricks were quickly used up.  Easton (against his will) and I went to Lowe's to purchase another truckload.  We purchased 84 bricks, all that would fit on the push cart at Lowe's and drove the heavy load home.  It's days like these that I miss my beast of a car car, the Expedition.  It would hold so much!  Friday I worked for hours and got the stones laid in place.  It was a little bit challenging to get the walls level because the stones were uneven to begin with and when I used a level it just never looked right.  I just had to eyeball it and do my best.  As I look at these pictures I still see some spots that are a little uneven, but whatever!  It's done and I'm happy!  And I used exactly 84 bricks in the process...no more, no less!  How amazing is that?
Next on the project list, bring in bags of soil to fill in the bricked-in areas and then plant my summer flowers!  Can't wait!  Oh, and I have to fix my brick path.  Tree roots have grown under the bricks and caused them to pop up and be uneven.  The list of work never ends at this place!




No comments:

Post a Comment