Friday, May 24, 2013

She said, "Yes!"


I have wanted to write down my version of Ashton and Brandon’s engagement since it happened back in January so that it would be recorded forever.  These are important things to document, you know, so here it goes….

Ashton came home for Christmas from BYU with big plans.  She had quickly fallen in love with a boy named Brandon Eccles that she had been dating at school.  She was planning on driving down to Florida after Christmas where Brandon’s Mother lived to spend a few days with his Mom and family, whom she had never met.  Stephen and I knew that she really “liked” this guy and felt that we should support this.  Because we didn’t have a reliable spare car she could drive to Florida, a car was rented for her to take the six hour drive in and she headed off by herself a couple days after Christmas on her adventure.

Stephen and I officially met Brandon when they arrived back together from Florida.  He was going to stay for a week with us so we could get to know each other.  It was a quick, “hi, how are you type of greeting” and then we headed off to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Monterrey for dinner.  Evidently that was a good choice because I found out later that Mexican is Brandon’s favorite type of food!  We spent the evening getting to know this new guy that Ashton was crazy about.

The next day Brandon found a moment to talk with Stephen and I while Ashton was upstairs getting ready for the day.  He was obviously very nervous and his voice was a little shaky as he began to speak.  He sat on the edge of our big green couch and expressed to us how much he loved our daughter and how great he thought she was.   He knew that their relationship had progressed quickly, but he was very sure that he wanted to marry our daughter.  He asked for our blessing and we, of course gave it to him.  After that stressful moment for Brandon, I told him he could relax and to take a breath!  With a few light-hearted chuckles he asked if we wanted to see the ring….well, of course!  It was beautiful and I knew that Ashton would just love it.  We talked about marriage, education, and future career options that Brandon was looking at and then the discussion moved onto the actual engagement.  Brandon wanted some ideas on the proposal and where would be a romantic, perfect place in Suwanee to do it.  Ashton had no idea that the proposal would be happening during the week, so we were all very secretive.  After much discussion Brandon decided that he would like to propose at Sims Park, a park that Ashton loves to take walks in.  I said I would take care of getting a photographer to capture the fairy-tale moment happening live!

Throughout the week Brandon and I had to secretly follow up on plans to make the engagement happen for him.  I secured the photographer for Friday, January 4, 2013 at around 4:00 P.M.; the rest was up to Brandon.  On Friday morning I received the following texts from Brandon:
 
Brandon:  Hey, Can I text this photographer lady to set up a plan with her?

Me: 678- 689-8168.  Her name is Brittney.  Do you need me to do anything?

Brandon:  Well, I want to get some roses and put petals at the spot, but I don’t really know where I’m gonna do it.  I was gonna ask the photographer to get there around 4 and then just find a spot where there aren’t a lot of people and where good photos can be taken and then when I see it as we’re walking, I would just know.  Do you want to help set something up and then you can be there with her?

Me:  Sounds good.  She kind of had a spot in mind that she thought had good lighting and a little more private.  I will set it up.  How many roses…are you going to have the ring?  Or do you want it attached to the roses?  I saw a picture with a ring hanging from a pretty gold ribbon from a tree in the woods…could do it in a secluded spot.  Are you going to walk the dog?  Worried if he will get in the way?

Brandon:  haha, okay, maybe a dozen roses.  That way some can be set up and some we can just use petals.  I like the idea of the ring there hanging from ribbon.  That way I don’t have a bulky box in my pocket.  So I’ll give that to you to take also.  Charlie is fine I think.  He’ll be in the way but maybe we can just tie him to a bench for a second or something.  I don’t know.  Either way.

Me:  Ok.  Sounds good.  I’m on it!

Brandon:  You’re the best Sheila.  Thanks so much and please let me know how much you spend.  I want to pay you back.

Me:  K. Make sure Ashton dresses cute…

After the secret texts went back and forth, we now had a plan set into action.  I met the photographer at Sims Park to scope out the perfect proposal spot that would be private and have the perfect lighting.  We took pictures of a mock proposal with me in it posing as Ashton so Brandon would know exactly where to place Ashton for the proposal.  This had to be done perfectly to get the perfect pictures.  The photographer found a large tree that would work for her to hide behind during the photo shoot.
I went to Hobby Lobby to get some ribbon for the flowers and some red silk rose petals to toss on the ground at the proposal site.  A trip to Kroger was made to buy a dozen or so red roses to put in the vase that would be used to “mark the spot.”    I was grateful that Brandon invited me to be a part of this memorable occasion and I had a grand time being sneaky and knowing that my daughter was going to get the surprise of her life!  I had a secret!


With all the tools of the engagement ready and in my car, I set off to the park to meet the photographer and get the proposal site all set up.  As I drove down the road I realized that I had forgotten the ring back at the house and had to turn around to get it.  Ugh!  I ran into traffic on the way to the park and was slowed down a bit.  I was getting nervous that I wouldn’t get everything set up in time because Brandon had said that he and Ashton would be leaving the house to go for a walk at around 4:30.  When I got to the park I met the photographer at the designated spot and frantically started getting things put together.  The vase of flowers was set up beautifully on a pile of flat stones in front of a small pond.   The ring was tied on a golden string and was strategically hanging ever so carefully from a low tree branch so that Brandon would be able to see it at just the right time. 
 
 
Brittney, the photographer, did some practice shots while hiding behind a tree to make sure that she could see the couple and not miss out on the “moment.”  She was dressed all in black from head to toe like a person ready to commit a crime so that she wouldn’t be seen by Ashton.  We were ready and waited with anxious anticipation for the couple to arrive.  At 4:18 I received a text from Brandon.

Brandon:  Ok.  Ashton wants to leave at 4:30 so we should be there shortly after that.  Is there only one place to park?

Me:  Yes…park in front of the park.  I parked way past it.

Brandon:  And which way will I walk when I get on the path?

Me:  Start to the left.  Follow the path.  Hurry so we don’t run out of light.  No pressure

Brandon:  We’re leaving now (4:25)

Me:  ?  (4:40, I hadn’t seen them arrive yet)

Brandon:  We’re here.  Going left now.

Me:  I see you.  Put her on the x made with 2 sticks.

Brittney and I had an awesome view of Brandon and Ashton walking along the path across from where we were.  We watched with anticipation as they got closer and closer.  I was hoping that people wouldn’t get in the way and be on the path when they arrived at the spot.  At one point during the setup process there were a couple of cute, little girls who saw the vase of flowers and were walking all around the spot.  I had to let them know nicely that a proposal was in the works and we needed a little privacy! 

We took our places behind our designated trees and waited.  As Ashton and Brandon eventually rounded the corner I thought for sure it was time, but Ashton turned the opposite way to read a new plaque that had been set up.  Brandon gently steered her toward the stone steps that would lead her up to the secluded wooded area where “it” was about to go down!  Ashton noticed the vase of roses and with a twinkle in her eye commented that Brandon was sneaky.  And then it happened…Brandon grabbed the ring off the golden string and knelt down on one knee.  Ashton’s face sparkled as she listened to his words. 


 

The camera was clicking away, capturing this once in a life time moment.  We couldn’t hear anything but, we knew her answer was yes when she leaped into Brandon’s arms and gave him a huge, lingering hug.  No doubt about it!  I felt like a stalker as I rolled my video camera and Brittney kept her camera clicking away.  Ashton soon became aware of us and we were coaxed out of our hiding spots. 
 
 A few more shots were taken before Brittney and I quietly left the lovebirds to themselves.  It was a beautiful moment, a perfect way to start their journey to eternity. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Great post of such a fun moment. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. They are the cutest couple

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! Good job on documenting the every moment. I can't believe you left the ring home,,, talk about adding unnecessary stress to your moment.

    ReplyDelete