Wednesday, May 15, 2013

You're It!!!


Remember when you were in Elementary school and you played games with your friends....and you were IT?  Do you remember that feeling of being IT, whether it was a game of tag or the kid in the middle of a game of pickle or keep away?  Oh, the dread of being "it".  "1,2,3, NOT IT!" would be yelled as you and your friends were dividing up for teams and deciding who had the unwanted honor of being the person who was the chaser, the relentless pursuer.  And really, wasn't the whole goal of most childhood games not to be IT?
 
As I cruise through my adulthood years, I still find myself wanting to yell, "Not It!"  Sometimes I just don't want to be "it".  I don't want to be the one teaching a lesson in Relief Society.  As I cleaned out my car the other night from an Enrichment Activity that I was in charge of I kept murmuring "not it" under my breath.  I didn't really want to teach a 30 minute lesson on Revitalizing your home.  I didn't want to make orange rolls on Mother's Day for the ladies in church or play the piano at the last second for a meeting.  I hate to admit it but, there are days when I want to yell, "1,2,3, NOT IT!"

But, I am reminded often that because I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and have chosen to follow Christ, I have also chosen to be "it".  He wants us to be "it" by serving, teaching others, and helping people draw closer to Him.  Because we love the Lord we are all "it" in this game of life.   Throughout the Savior's life we can see how he unselfishly served others.  He was "it" when he healed the sick, taught the people, suffered for us in Gethsemane and then died on the cross.  He never stopped serving and loving others.  He was the ultimate example of being "it."
 
I must remind myself often why I do what I do as I serve in my callings.  I want to serve the Lord.  I am committed to doing my best to help build His kingdom.  I know I can be a tool that will encourage and motivate others to better their lives and by serving others, I improve myself.  Sometimes my children just roll their eyes when I have service opportunities in church and wonder why I put forth all this effort and work.  Because I love the Lord and His gospel I will always say, "1,2,3, IT!"

3 comments:

  1. and I say these things in the name of jesus Christ amen! ... thanks for the good lesson today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great 2 1/2 min. talk---I so agree with everything you expressed.. Keep it up. I need those brief reminders.

    ReplyDelete