Friday, October 18, 2013

I'm There

"It's midnight and I am laying on the Loony Bin (That's what we call our home office.) floor with my head resting on a pillow and Ashton's pre Kindergarten Minnie Mouse comforter keeping me warm from the fall chill in the air.  Easton is still up working on a school assignment, actually two assignments." 

That was the scenario last night as I took this picture from my relaxed position on the floor.  I was tired and my body longed to be put to bed, but I didn't want to leave Easton.  He didn't even need my help, he was doing just fine with his assignment. I just wanted to be there to support him.  I wanted him to know I loved him, he wasn't alone and I was there for him.

My thoughts turned to my mother.  She was the best at supporting her procrastinating children in their academic endeavors, especially me! I truly was the master procrastinator.  I found great success while being pushed to the extremes during the wee hours of the night.  With a looming deadline I could pull all-nighters with the best of them.  It was quite a common occurrence during my junior high and high school years to be working on projects late into the night with my Mom.  She was there with her creativity pushing me along and helping me get it done.  I still remember brainstorming ideas with her to create my own country, Floralba.  It was a grand country based on flowers.  We had cities, mountain ranges, rivers, and lakes named after flowers.  Writing creative stories for Mr. Randolph's English class was a real challenge for me.  I was great at getting the story started, but always got stuck in the middle trying to develop the plot, the climax and then the conclusion.  My stories tended to go on and on with no end in sight.  My mother was an excellent writer and could wrap up my stories in a nice neat little package, always having a clever turn of events unfold at the end.  Together we produced a lot of A work!
I'm grateful for those memories of working side by side with my Mom.  It was always late and I'm sure my mother was tired and wanted to be in bed, but she was there for me.  While her fingers clicked along on the typewriter keys, finishing up final drafts, I knew she loved me. The message of care and support from my mother spoke loudly as I sometimes fell asleep and would wake up to a finished project, completed by my skilled mother.  She helped me get through school!

My children are smart, creative and good students but I'm sorry to report that they did get the procrastination gene from me.  From our little weaknesses we can gain blessings and growth.  In the quiet hours of the night while searching the internet for information, typing a report, cutting and coloring a map, studying for a test or finishing a book report project, I hope they've learned that I love them and will always have their back.  I'm there for them, even if I'm lying on the floor with a pillow and blanket.  I'm there for them.

2 comments:

  1. nice tribute to your mommy---we all have the procrastination gene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This message caused a big smile on my face. Yes I remember thos long nights when I sat on the bed fighting the desire to fall asleep. I remember you flower story. I could ;not figure how to pull it together but it finally happened. Then there was Craig, He had two report due so I took one and he did the other. I sort of dumbed down a bit, and he got the A and I got a B. That was sooo funny.

    ReplyDelete