Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tuna Fish Sandwiches


Every time I make tuna fish I find myself thinking of my Mother. She taught me how to make tuna fish growing up and I have always added the ingredients that she did; Dill weed (crushed in your hand), Bon Appetit (a great spice), Miracle Whip, and dill pickles. There is one change, however I made to my recipe--Mom always used to get onto me about stirring it too much. She liked her Tuna a little bit chunky. I can still hear her telling me to be gentle and not stir it so much. Well, that is one thing I don't do now. I like my tuna well mixed--Not Chunky! Each time now when I make the tuna I can hear my mother in the background telling me not to blend it so much. Some things you just can't get out of your head. It's a battle every time I make it. I know that's weird, but I do think of my Mother while making tuna. Mother's recipe makes for a great, tasty sandwich that we all love whether it's chunky or blended nicely! Thanks mom.

7 comments:

  1. k. I'm honestly laughing out loud right now.... I do the same thing, thinking of mom saying that!!! Isn't that funny?? I get all paranoid that I'm taking out the tuna chunks... what possessed you to start mushing it together???? So FUNNY!!! However, I don't remember mom using the Bon Appetit spice, in fact I don't even have that in my cabinet... I still crush the dill weed in my hand. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love tuna here too. In fact, Kate would eat them everyday for lunch. It does have to be white Albacore w/dill weed, onion powder, love diced celery and pickles in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle wanted to know why I had not commented on the Tuna story, I did make a comment when I read this note about Tuna Fish, but it seems not to have made it. Well, it seems funny to be commenting about tuna fish. I laughed when I read the comments. I really, really laughed. Yes, I do like a good tuna sandwich. And yes it has to have some spices. I did use the Bon Appetit but it has celery & I think onion flavor in it, so when I finished the bon apetite one time, I did not buy anymore. Use celery salt or finely chopped celery if you have it & for sure, dill. It has to be rubbed in your hand to release the flavors. If you destroy the tuna flakes, the tuna becomes just a flavor mixed with miracle whip. The sandwich will be a soggy mess!!! Yikes. I tried to teach my people to love to eat & appredciate good food. And Tuna sandwiches come under that category!!!! I am sorry you need therapy because of the trauma created by the teachings on how to make gourmet Sandwiches.
    I'll try to convince your father to pay for it. oxoxoxo I Love you all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked Elaine's tuna better than mine! I haven't had tuna for years and years and years. But--------if I decide to make one again, it will be according to "Elaine's Tuna Rules"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Elaine made the best tuna sandwiches. I remember when she would watch me that that is what I always requested for lunch becasue her's were so yummy. I actually made one today and thought of her.

    ReplyDelete