Friday, May 2, 2008

Playing in the Dirt

It was a beautiful day yesterday and I got the "bug". After I volunteered in Easton's class I took a side trip to Lowes before I headed home. I was just going to go and admire the new annuals and get some ideas. Well, it happened. Everytime I start looking at flowers I just have to get started in the yard. I bought a ton of compost and peet moss and headed home. With my gardening gloves on and my spade in hand I began the process of cleaning and weeding the flower beds. So many things died last year because of the drought. We've had good rains this season and my perennials have really perked up! My friend came over in the afternoon and I was able to share some Day Lilies and other perennials that needed to be divided. I also started a new flower bed in the back--under the family room window. It's needed to be done since we moved in. The new soil has been added and I'm ready to plant. Of course, that means a trip to the nursery to start acquiring my new, colorful flowers of the season. I really enjoy time spent wandering around the store looking for new varieties and colors of plants and imagining how they will look with the other plants in my garden. I love flowers and trying to create beautiful landscapes. I'll keep you posted on my progress and post some pictures when it's finished.

My body is sore, especially my back from leaning over to dump all the mulch. Oh, but it's worth it! I look forward to enjoying this beautiful season of color.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your pictures of your flowers. I probably won't be planting any flowers until Denver... maybe i'll plant a cactus.... ha ha.. or i'll just have a cactus in my window sill in my kitchen..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the bug but I have just done my work a little at a time. Today I got a few perenials from Keith's garden. I hope they take.
    Our plants grow slower here up in the mountains. Keith's are all looking pretty, and mine is still waiting for Spring. The deer really did a job this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you pass on the bug. Craig and I did walk around the yard last night discussing what we both want done to the beds this year. I guess that is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete