Monday, June 17, 2013

A little Yard Work

I've been working like a crazy woman these past two weeks.  Those who know me well are familiar with how I get ridiculously focused on a project and can't stop working until it is complete.  I am driving Landon and Easton crazy with the hours, days and now almost two weeks that I have been working myself to death in our crazy, untamed yard.  This past week I was motivated to take control of the area down by the creek below our two railroad ties level.  It had become so overgrown with trees and undergrowth that we couldn't even see the creek and our yard was getting smaller and smaller each year as the baby trees matured and moved in closer to our home.  I worked on the top level a couple of weeks ago but the entire lower level of this area was covered with trees, bushes, and vines.  It had become so dense that you almost could not even see the ground.  The undergrowth had taken over and there were wild blackberry bushes everywhere....they had gone WILD!  The picture above was taken after one days work so you can get a glimpse of the creek on the right.
 
So grateful to have my new wheel barrow (sp) to help me with the clearing part of this project.  What a great tool that I wish I had gotten twenty years ago!  I can't believe I've waited so long to get one of these awesome little inventions.
These pictures are taken a few days into the project after I cut and cleared the land.  I can't even count how many loads of chopped down branches and trees were hauled up that back hill into the back yard and deposited in the vacant lot next to us.  I wore myself out everyday working in the humidity, but I loved it.  I find so much satisfaction in working on a project and creating something new and beautiful.




 

 

We had pinestraw delivered and I was able to throw it out last Saturday.  Notice the trail that goes into the backyard that I created.  After a trip to Lowes again on Saturday to purchase bags of bark we are ready the fill in the path this Monday morning.  It's raining as I typed this post so hopefully we will be able to get out there tomorrow and finish the path.  I will post pictures of the finished project soon.  I will also be adding some azaleas and ferns and a two-person bench swing to this new nature area.  I love it and couldn't be happier with the new space.  Be on the lookout for next weeks' new project, it's already in the works...I'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry! We had it at the Royal Lane House, and Al was 'attacked' several times.

    ReplyDelete