Monday, June 10, 2013

Trying New Things

 Last week we had some blueberries that needed to be used up to I decided to be a nice mom and make some yummy blueberry pancakes.  I tried a recipe from Pinterest a while ago that I thought I would dig out again.  I was called the "Best Ever Pancakes" and it did live up to it's name.  Here's the recipe in case you want to give it a try:
 
Best Ever Pancakes
 
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp white vinegar (see note below) OR
3/4 C + 2 Tbsp buttermilk....I have done both
1 Cup flour
2 Tbsp white sugar (I used 3)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
fresh blueberries
 
Combine the milk and vinegar in a small bowl for 10 minutes to sour.  This is an important step and it is called soured milk which is much different than sour milk.  You will not taste the vinegar in the final product.  Set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a smaller bowl, whisk the soured milk, egg, vanilla and melted butter together.  Pour into the dry ingredients and whisk until most of the lumps are gone, but DO NOT OVER BEAT!!
The batter will be thick, don't add any more liquid.  Let the batter sit undisturbed for ten minutes!!!  After 10 minutes you will see bubbles in the batter, very important DO NOT STIR AGAIN.
Gently dip out (don't pour out) batter and place it on grill.  Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and then flip with a spatula and brown the other side.
 
 
Along with our pancakes we tried some new turkey bacon.  I had never had it before and thought it would be great if we actually liked it because then we could eat lots of healthy bacon and not feel any guilt.  
 It cooked a little differently than pig bacon.  There wasn't a lot of fat.
Here's what we think of turkey bacon.  It wasn't yucky.  It tasted OK.  I just would rather eat the unhealthy stuff because it tastes oh, so much better.   I thought about pig bacon all day long.  I felt very deprived and let down.  But, the pancakes were good! 

1 comment:

  1. Man, they sure make you wait for your pancakes in that recipe? Making them at moms?

    ReplyDelete