Monday, June 24, 2013

Yardwork Review

 
It was another busy week in the yard as I tried to finish up some projects and start some new ones.  The boys placed bark on the pathway that I had outlined for them in the pinestraw from last weeks' adventure.  I think it just makes it look so inviting down on the creek level of our yard. 
 I recruited Landon to help me build some stairs to go down to the creek level from our driveway.  I have always wanted steps since we moved in but hiring someone to do it was never quite in the budget.  So I finally decided that I was capable of doing it.  Landon and I purchased treated timber at Lowes and had it cut into 3 foot lengths.  We dug out steps going up the hill and used rebar and a substantial metal mallet to hammer the 2 foot rebar in place to hold each step.  As each step was carved into the steep hill we would walk up and down the path to anticipate the placement of the next step.  It was a project that took us all day to complete, but it was a great accomplishment when we were finished.  We placed bark on each stair level to complete the path.


An ongoing side project we are working on is building little retaining walls along some of our flower beds to hold the dirt in where they are sloped.  This has taken a while to complete because I can only fill my Explorer with so many of the heavy stones at one time.  We're making progress.....next week we have another big project planned.  Keep checking back for the update!

2 comments:

  1. it sure is looking fantastic. when you take the month of july off over in GA,, you can come down to Draper to help give me ideas for my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited with you....Those are the same bricks that I have used the last couple of years. You are really working hard, but it is sooo rewarding to step back and see the completed project.

    ReplyDelete