Thursday, January 15, 2009

Life Lessons

During our lives we have little experiences that teach us life lessons. Reflecting on the past week, I'd like to share my learning. 1. Rotate, rotate, rotate! In my food storage 101 class I was always taught to rotate the food storage. Use it and replace it. Well, I didn't follow that important rule--haven't followed it for over 10 years. Thus, my big blue garbage can has been consistently fed with old cans. Check out the dates on these bloated cans of food. Cleaning out the basement in preparation for our move was an eye-opener for me. Because I haven't been doing the whole rotating thing, I have very old cans of food that I would never feed my family. I've been filling up our garbage can for the past three weeks with hundreds of dollars worth of out-dated canned goods. I watch out the window each Thursday morning with hope as the strong garbage man casually grabs our can to move it and then realizes that it weighs a ton. The last two weeks have been successful pickups. This week as I observed the manly worker, he looked in the can, paused, went back to his truck, wrote something down on his clipboard, then returned and emptied the trash. mmmmm.....I wonder what he wrote down.
2. I can fix anything in my house if I put my mind to it. For years Ashton's toilet has made this horrendous moaning sound whenever it was flushed. It seriously would rattle the house and it was so loud! I researched "moaning toilets" on the internet this week, bought the recommended flow valve replacement part at Wal Mart, and fixed the obnoxious toilet last night. 45 minutes of work and no more MOANING. Flush away!

3. When ones husband who always pays the bill lives in another state three hours away, sometimes bills don't get paid. mmmmm, Who knew? Stephen has always been an excellent bill payer, managing our bills online and getting them paid on time. Imagine my shock to receive a past due bill in the mail yesterday. This is rather embarrassing because our friends own this business and provide us with our bug control service. I hope they don't see this on the blog--payment will be in the mail today!

4. Making cookies is always a treat and everyone in the house loves eating them. The lesson for me is that if there is a whole Tupperware full of chocolate chip cookies and you are the only one home in the day--they will be eaten until they are GONE! I cannot believe that I single-handily downed a whole batch of cookies this week. I think I'll be going to the gym for some extra cardio!

5. When the beds aren't made, someone will come see the house unannounced! Yesterday the boys beds weren't made. The house was actually very clean--just unmade beds. I noticed a man walking around in the backyard. It made me a little nervous and I kept my eye on him. Then I noticed that he had our realtor lock box in his hand and he was getting ready to come in the back door. I quickly opened the door and scared the poor man half to death! In my most kind hostess voice I asked him if I could help him. He wanted to see the house and commented that it said "owner transferred" on our listing. I guess he expected the house to be empty and didn't feel the need to call us. Well, with beds unmade, I invited him to view our otherwise beautiful home. He liked it. Maybe he'll be back with the wife later. Beds are made today!



7 comments:

  1. I love your 5 life lessons. I have found myself in all the same situations. Don't you just love it when people show up unannounced to see your home!!! Hopefully he will buy it and then it will be all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I laughed a few times here. I have polished off a batch in a few days too.

    I cannot believe you carted those cans around,, let's see,,,,through 4 moves??!! What the heck is that all about? I bet you got in trouble with your weight in your can. You actually have garbage dudes? and not a lifter upper thingy? and you always have been able to fix things,, too bad the toilet had to make that sound for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have garbage dudes that pull the garbage off the curb and place it on the loader thing and then flip the switch. Then they throw the garbage can into the curb and take off down the street. Utah is way advanced in the garbage collecting business with the automated trucks that do all the work. Those things scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many problems in life. It never fails that when your beds are not made, someone will come. I hate it when that happens. I always try to make the beds. At least it is one little thing that I can say I did.
    You maybe in trouble with the Sanitation Dept. I hope you do not get fined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you (about fixing the toilet). I'm so impressed! I guess you'll be getting one of those "extra fee slips" from the garbage company. Allan gets them from time to time when he accidentally puts yard waste in the can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the life lessons. I am impressed you fixed the toliet. Who dosn't eat the whole batch of cookies when the boys aren't around to eat them. Food storage rotation is always a problem, especially the cans from the cannery, I don't even want to look at those dates. I am impressed that only the beds were unmade, I clean during the day and when the boys come home it looks like a Hurricane hit the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is those mafia run garbage services that won't change.

    ReplyDelete