Friday, December 12, 2008

Advent

An Advent calendar is a special calendar which is used to count or celebrate the days of advent in anticipation of Christmas. Some calendars are strictly religious, whereas others are secular in content. I think every home with children should have one. Easton never forgets to check our advent calendar every morning as he comes down the stairs for breakfast. I made this calendar as a RS project many years ago. I like it because it reinforces the nativity and the true meaning of Christmas. We have another one in the kitchen that has little ornaments in each days' pocket that are placed on a miniature Christmas tree. We've had the Lego advent in the past--that's a fun one.

Growing up we had a fabulous red, felt advent calendar. I loved it and I loved taking my turn to pick out of the pocket. A treasured little ornament was gently pulled out of the numbered pocket and then pinned to the large green Christmas tree at the top of the calendar. We took turns picking out every day--with four children (sorry Janelle, you weren't born yet) it always seemed like you didn't get enough turns. When Janelle came on the scene I was old enough to not need a turn. Craig and Janelle always got to pick on their birthdays--14th and 15th.

Okay, I have a confession. My favorite ornaments to pick were the adorable little sparkly gold and silver angels. They were my absolute favorite and I always wanted to be the one to choose them. Strategically I would figure out which pockets my turns would land on and then I would shuffle the little treasures to ensure that I would always get the angels. Oh, the care I went to and the sneakiness. The fear I would feel as a child while I was frantically digging through the pockets in search of my beautiful angels was almost unbearable. I didn't want to get caught. But....the anxious feeling in my stomach was so worth the success I felt when casually and with my biggest surprised face, I would pick the angel when it was my turn. I relished in my success and deceit. Wow! I've been waiting for years to let that little secret out. Sorry to those of you who wanted the angel too. Although thinking back, I don't think my brothers cared much for the feminine, girly little angels. They were probably happy that they had the cool red truck or jolly St. Nick in their on advent turn.

Christmas makes me reflect on my childhood memories of the season. It's that magical time of the year when everything is special and the light of Christ can be found everywhere. My mother did a wonderful job of creating that special feeling in our home and made us recognize that this was an amazing time of year, the celebration of the birth of Christ. I hope the children in your lives are savoring the festivities of the season.

3 comments:

  1. Oh,,, the advent calendar.. I only remember it hanging in the hall by the pantry. I didn't really care for the angels, and I guess the boys didn't either,,, so all your sneaking around was for nuthin'...

    I think I liked the present? green? shiny paper? Speaking of,,,, Mom, where is the advent calendar and the goodies that go inside it?? That should NOT be thrown away or put in the DI pile! I do remember trying to sneak things into my days too, Brad would always trade them out again. And I remember having a difficult time pinning the things to the felt when I was a little girl. I think I stuck my finger once or twice. Oh, I remember the felt baby Jesus in the manger. Bren only had his sister, so they had massive strategy at that house. There were certain treasured items so they had a list on a piece of paper and they filled it out for like 10 years, who got to do what each year.. how funny is that? Glad Easton is still excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think the advent calendar survived. If I remember right, I do not think anyone wanted it. Just rmember the memory, and I see it was a fun time for you all. Now that makes a mom feel good about her efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the advent calender growing up in the hallway upstairs. There would be a treat in each pocket. I was one of the youngest, so Matt and I always were the first to check it in the morning. Fun memory! Thanks Sheila.

    ReplyDelete