Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Eve Dinner

Oh, the traditional Christmas Eve dinner........when the children were very little I made extravagant dinners and after a few years realized that I was wasting so much time and energy on something that the kids really could care less about. So we started making homemade individual pizzas on Christmas Eve. We would roll out the dough and then add whatever toppings they liked. The pizza dinner was a great tradition for about five years. Then I decided to change it one year, not really sure why. I guess I was in the mood for French Toast! I made a fabulous feast of French Toast that was coated in corn flakes crumbs. We had fresh raspberries, thick-sliced bacon, delicious syrups, juice and real whipping cream to put on top. Yummy! The kids loved it and requested it the following year. Well, we've been eating French toast on Christmas Eve ever since. This year I tried to shake things up a bit by suggesting a more mature gourmet meal complete with tender filet mignon. They would have nothing to do with it!!!! I was assaulted with reminders that French toast was tradition and that's what we were having. So...that's what we had and I have to admit it was very yummy. The whipping cream makes all the difference!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful table again! I wish I could try your French Toast. What is your recipe? I need to get that from you. It really looks like dad has another cup of butter on his toast..... grrr. I think you ate the best of all that week. Wonderful food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love your french toast recipe too. Sounds yummy. I am glad I dont' have to worry about Christmas Eve dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike loves french toast! I would also love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No special recipe. Just make your normal french toast mix. I use eggs, milk, vanilla,cinnamon and a splash of orange juice. Dip your bread in the eggs and then dip it in crushed corn flake crumbs on both sides before putting in the pan to cook. You can buy the crumbs already crushed--they're usually by the bread crumbs in the cooking aisle. I have crushed my own too--they are very fine, put them in the blender or food processor. It is very filling if you do use the crumbs so you won't have to make as much. I have also spread cream cheese between two pieces of bread before dipping them in the egg mix. That's very tasty but rich!

    ReplyDelete