Monday, December 29, 2008

Shortbread Cookies

Making shortbread cookies is a Tradition in our home that was passed down from my home growing up. The cookies are tasty little morsels of yumminess! Crisp and buttery. They are made by putting the dough in a cookie press and squeezing them out through various shapes onto the tray. The kids love decorating the cookies with festive sprinkles and colored sugars. Watch them carefully as they cook because you don't want the edges to become brown. I asked Mother the history of the recipe--it was a recipe from her mother (Margaret Lange James) who got it from her mother in law (Margaret Syme James). Four generations of shortbread cookie makers have been enjoying this tradition. I suspect it will continue for many more! Easton is so careful to place his red, white, and green colored candy balls on his Christmas tree shaped cookies.
Watch out or I'll shoot you with my cookie press!
The happy cookie makers humored me by letting me take their picture while wearing their Christmas aprons. Grandma made these for them many years ago and we bring them out every year. Landon has obviously outgrown his! Dallin borrowed one that I made for Ashton because he couldn't even attempt to get his old one on. He'll have to save it for his little children.

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny to see them in those aprons. Mom will have to get out her sewing machine and do that again for the younger grandkids now. The second generation... they always miss out on the traditions. I love these cookies too, and I must say your cookie press picture made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous ... I need a cookie press.

    ReplyDelete