Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cookies

I really don't understand the whole sugar cookie thing. A torn out recipe from a magazine for sugar cookies has been gnawing at me for a couple of weeks now to be made. Many recipes in the past have been tried and I just don't feel like I have found the perfect sugar cookie. Seriously, I don't see what all the fuss is with the whole sugar cookie.
So this afternoon I attempted yet another sugar cookie recipe in hopes that I had hit the mother lode. NOT! First of all, it really is quite the process to create those crunchy little bites of sweetness. Once the dough is made it must be chilled for like hours before it can be handled. Then when it is just the right chilliness you plop it onto a floured surface, pick out the appropriate holiday cookie cutters and begin the rolling process. Because it has chilled for at least two hours it's too hard to roll out. Of course, the rolling pin sticks to the dough after it has warmed a bit and becomes a real unsightly mess. After the sticky dough is finally flattened to the recommended 1/8 inch thickness you may begin cutting the desired shapes. Very strategically placed shapes are cut into the dough because it requires careful planning and skill to be able to cut as many little shapes out of one dough rolling as possible. If you have to roll it twice it will get very tough and floury tasting. Yuck. Now the tricky part---peeling the cut shape off the counter and placing it gently on the cookie sheet without tearing, ripping, shredding or deforming the valuable creation. Phew, now the shining silver cookie sheet full of festive shapes find their way to a 400 degree oven. Watch these little treats carefully because they have a tendency to get a lovely brown edge quickly. Don't answer your phone or take the dog out to do it's duty--one must watch with vigilance and unwavering dedication. Aaaaah! The cookies in the back right hand corner of the oven are brown while the ones in the front left hand corner are still white. Quickly they are removed to save the precious cookies from certain burnt death! Okay--now the trickiest part of all, removing the cookies from the cookie sheet and placing them on the cooling rack. Such care must be taken so as not to snap a snowman's head off or break a gingerman's leg. It's an intense moment. Success. All cookies are cooling peacefully. But, with the sugar cookie one is not done until frosting is applied and festive sprinkles added in order to enhance the otherwise bland flavor. Incredible skill is required to neatly apply the properly tinted frosting all the while working in a kitchen dusted everywhere with powdered sugar. It seems like much to do about nothing. So, I will be putting this recipe to rest with all the other sugar cookie recipes of the past. I much prefer the ease of making a chocolate chip cookie and enjoy the taste of the perfectly round shaped treat full of miniature chocolate morsels melting in my mouth. So long sugar cookie.

8 comments:

  1. YOU'RE NUTS! I love sugar cookies, love making them, love the shapes, love rolling them out, love the frosting... sprinkles.. ta da! It's one of my specialties. The kids love them too! Don't put your recipe too far away.... you'll be needing to make them for Easton, remember? He gets excited to do things to. I really do love making them. How funny! By the way, williams sonoma has a silicone rolling mat, I'm eyeing it for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, true, true. You should go to that cute little place called "The Patio" by Target and across from Lobby Lobby on Pleasant Hill...they have THE BEST sugar cookies for every holiday & they are all perfectly decorated too! By the way, their lunch is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get Janelle's sugar cookie recipe--she make the BEST ones. It is the Lion House cookie recipe I do believe and they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do use the lion house recipe, and I don't roll them as thin, it makes them less crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have NEVER liked sugar cookes. To eat or to make. Throw the recipe away. Chocolate chip cookies will always be the way to go!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. I have never found a recipe I like. Nate loves sugar cookies and I just dont know what the fuss is all about. I too would much rather make chocolate chip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all kinds of cookies, especially sugar cookies! My frie Lorrie has the best recipe in the entire world. I should get it from her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you remember the white cookied I made in place of the rolling out kind. I flattened
    the dropped cookie dough with a glass and when baked rolled them in powdered sugar. They looked like rolled out cookies but tasted better. Course we could not make any cutter designs.

    ReplyDelete