Saturday, September 27, 2008

Loss of a Friend

Yesterday I lost a good friend that has been in my life since 1968. My beautiful Wurlizter piano was sold to a friend and taken from my home. I played it one last time before the movers came and the feelings and memories of time spent with my friend came flooding in like a broken dam. I can't even count the hours that have been spent happily creating music and enjoying our time together.

It wasn't always a great relationship, there were some rocky times when I just didn't want to be together. It was not pleasant when I was forced to practice and had to sit for what seemed like hours. I would cry. I would sit and sit and sit without playing a note. There were many frustrating moments that we had together when I just couldn't master a piece or memorize a required song. Tears and pounding on the keys. Play it again! Count! Play softer. Practice!

Our friendship grew and strengthened through the years. When I was in Primary I was the Primary pianist and had to practice through the songbook a bazillion times. As a teenager we spent hours together with seminary songs, church music and hymns. Pop songs were fun to play as well. It was cool to be able to play songs that my friends recognized. Quitting lessons in 9th grade was very traumatic and I wasn't sure how it would affect our relationship. I broke down and cried in my last lesson.

After I was married we were separted for a time. I would play it when we would go to Mom and Dad's for Sunday dinner. When Stephen and I were financially able we purchased my childhood friend and have had it with us through our many moves. My brothers still talk about how many times they have moved that piano and I'll never forget seeing it sitting outside at the bottom of our new apartment stairs in a snowstorm because our apartment door was locked. Oh the good times we've had! Ashton, Dallin, Landon and even Easton for a short time have learned to play and have practiced on this piano. It has touched all of our lives.

We have stayed together through it all. I still love the piano and use my talents often from playing in church to accompanying various musical numbers. I have enjoyed playing for Ashton and Dallin when they sing. I teach piano lessons now and feel like I have come full circle with my piano. I still sit and play just for fun--it's great to bring music into my home. Thanks to my piano for the memories and all the good times we've shared. I hope the new family that my piano is going to will be able to develop the same love, respect and admiration that I have had for my friend through all these years together. You will be missed, my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Not only was it your friend, but it was mine too. I learned to play the piano on those ivory's and also had a love/hate relationship. I have memories of singing with you while you played - 'You're the inspiration' 'Love lifts us up where we belong', mom playing Jumbo Elephant, Keith playing his songs, and then me playing and singing with Ashton when she was a little girl. So are you getting a replacement?? I can't believe it's gone,,,,, so weird,,, you didn't even tell me...why? WHY???????

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going make me cry. Yeah, I have some memories there, too. One and two and three and four and . . . I will always remember in the basement of our little condo thing in Murray when we moved to Utah. I would play Maple Leaf Rag to bug you guys while the TV was on. Really, we didn't have any friends so bugging each other was all we had. Remember Grandpa Homer playing that and even Dad sitting down sometimes to play.

    And, yeah, I didn't know you were selling it. Kind of weird. I wonder if our kids will get so worked up about our piano someday--they'll probably chop it up with an ax.

    ReplyDelete