Saturday, September 6, 2008

Run Dallin Run

This was the scene at the start of Dallin's race this past Saturday. It was at Berry College in Rome, GA. There were so many teams participating it was ridiculous! When the starting gun went off it was crazy. The runners just start cruising and push each other to get a good spot. Some even get knocked over and stepped on--brutal!
A shot of Dallin after the race. It was a hot, humid morning and the race was intense. Most of the boys had slower times because of the difficulty of the course and the weather. Dallin got to try out his new running spikes and was able to report that it did make a difference.
Dallin is running with his team doing their cool down run. I love this sport. The kids are just amazing to me. It's a very difficult sport that requires a lot of athleticism, but also mind control. You have to convince yourself to keep going even though your body is telling you to stop.

Here's a shot of the race just as it was starting. The other clip is of Dallin cruising during the race.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Dallin. I also think Cross Country is a cool sport. I use it as a metaphor in my class during my famous 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter, and 4th quarters speeches (Just ask my students).

    I'm glad you're understanding it, Sheila. Sometimes in our football-saturated world people just overlook some of the other worthwhile athletic endeavors that aren't necesarily about winning and being number 1. Sometimes it's about finishing. Or about running and winning your "own" race. It's a personal thing.

    I still remember mom and you guys watching one of my long distance outdoor track races at a home meet. I guess she didn't get what it takes to run (not win) a 5000 meter race. Afterwards, she said, "Why didn't you run faster?" I'm glad you get it, for Dallin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, give mom a break Keith!

    Running is a very hard sport. It takes monstruous discipline since it's main skill is endurance. If you miss a practice you suffer for it. I was not gifted with the discipline factor. That picture and video of the start is insane. I for sure would have been trampled on because I'm not an aggressive person.

    ReplyDelete