Sunday, September 7, 2008

Peach Cobbler

For our Sunday dessert today I made an old-time favorite recipe. We had my Grandma's Peach Cobbler. It's not your typical cobbler, it's a whole peach cooked in a yummy nutmeg sauce with piecrust covering the top. I remember having this a lot as a child. The peach would be super hot so we would take the hot pit out to cool it off before we could eat it. The warm, sweet sauce really added to the great flavor. I think this was the first time Landon and Easton have enjoyed this dessert. Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try:

Combine:
1 1/2 c sugar
2 TBSP flour
Add:
2 C water
1 pinch salt
Cook and stir til mixture is clear.
Add:
2TBSP butter
1 tsp nutmeg

Place peeled, whole peaches in deep cooking dish. Pour sauce over peaches. Cover entire dish with prepared piecrust of your choice, leaving some hanging over sides. Cut a few slits in crust for steam. Cook 375 for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

10 comments:

  1. Really, really?????? I have not had mom's peach cobbler,,, for probably 6 years or so. Not since I lived there. Plus mom doesn't cook those things anymore, plus I don't liver there anymore. I have never made one either. wah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So make one. I gave you the recipe! Landon says, "It's yummy!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will, I will. Kaitlyn's kinda obsessed with cooking and baking right now. She always wants to make cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We both blogged about Sunday dessert today--what's up with that? I guess we were on the same wave length? Anyway, yours looks so good. I am going to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks TASTY! I am coming over to your house for a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture prompted a memory. I could "SMELL" it and "TASTE" it ---- It was always so yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me this dessert is a part of fall. I love the smell and the juice! We have to make some. We already ate our peaches off our own tree so we'll ahve to find some good Utah peaches, since we don't ahve and Georgia peaches here. Oh, yeah, Ashton is here--I guess we do now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Since we don't have any Georgia peaches here. Oh yeah, Ashton is here--I guess we do now"

    Sheesh, nothing like mangling a good punch line to kill the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cobbler. Maybe I will have to make one for Dad & Me. A couple of times I have made the sauce then used it hot over some canned peaches. It is not as wonderful of course, but it is easy gives my memory a bump.

    ReplyDelete