Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's too clean!

My house is too clean. I know what you're thinking--how can a house be too clean? Well, as most of you know we are moving to Birmingham (that's the first time I've typed that and it is not an easy word to type) and have been trying to get the house ready to sell. I have been working like a crazy woman everyday to spiffy up the place. I like to consider myself a clean and neat person, but I 've realized through this house preparation process that I am NOT.

As you begin to assess the damage in your house, it becomes a realization very quickly that it's in sad shape. Stuff that I've allowed myself to tolerate and live with is just not acceptable to the potential house-buying customer. Holes in walls, nicks and chipped paint, cracks in both front doors, holes in the walls in bathrooms from water damage, leftover painting mistakes on ceilings from earlier painting projects, random spots on carpet, cracked caulking infested with mold, nasty, torn shower curtains, dirty windows, spider webs in all corners of the house (which I never noticed!), a broken blind where Easton's beloved pet rat chewed through the strings, peeling wallpaper, dead lightbulbs, unorganized closets, basements, and garages-the list goes on and on. My eyes are seeing things that I just didn't see a month and a half ago. And I wish they didn't. I am now an obesessive compulsive person about the cleanliness of the house and it's driving me crazy. I don't like it one little bit.

I can't wait to be done with the house-selling process and get back to normal. I can't LIVE in a clean house. So for those of you having clean house envy I say enjoy the moment, look around your house, leave those dirty dishes in the sink and go out and have some fun. Those dishes will be there when you get back!

8 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. Amen! It's so true that you eventually just get used to your house issues. When we first moved in here I had a list of things I needed to buy to make the home complete, and guess what, I haven't bought any of it, and my house is just fine. I guess when you move in you just want everything perfect, but eventually you just skim over all that and then you completely fly over it. It just goes away, until you end up moving again. I'm sure your home looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Janelle, I am sure your house looks amazing! Question for you, since you are the master of fixing things ... we have broken blinds also, except it wasn't a pet rat. Can the blind be fixed or does it have to be replaced? (I think we have the same blind problem ... broken strings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just used some white string and connected the broken pieces together with knots. Thank goodness it was a cheap fix and the blinds still work. I had to run the string through the little holes in the slats. See what yours looks like, I'm sure it can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a beautiful home and hope it will sell fast for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing what you get used to. We haven't had trim in our bedroom since we lived here and most the time I don't even notice. I probably play to much and should spend more time cleaning but I would much rather go out and have fun.

    I love your house it looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home is wonderful. I know there are always those little scraps and knicks, but I do not think most people worry to much about them as they thinking, well, we will have to this room.Then they get used to it and they don't paint either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes I made a mess of that message!!I should use preview

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really sad that all of our projects finally get done when you have to sell the house. I told Craig that when we finally get the house the way I want it, he will get transferred. It is how life goes.

    ReplyDelete