Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Help!


Life around the gas pumps have been crazy the last couple of weeks in Atlanta. We are having a gas shortage right now because the pipelines in Texas have not been pumping at full capacity because of the recent hurricanes. We have been very careful about keeping our cars filled and not letting them get down past a half a tank. Gas stations have been OUT of gas. You drive around looking and there will be five or six along the same stretch of highway that are just plain out of gas. When you find a station that does have gas you are usually waiting in super long lines to fill up. It's been big news here. They canceled Scouts and Young Women's this week because of the gas shortage. They also canceled fast offering collections last Sunday. People are telecommuting this week. The news says we should be back to normal by the end of the week. I sure hope so because this is stressing me out! I have taken my gas supply for granted. I now have a new appreciation for how dependent we are on gas. Happiness is a full tank of gas!




7 comments:

  1. It really is scary how dependent we are on fuel. Just think, how would I get food and groceries with two children in Tucson. Our closest store is Walgreens and Circle K just down our apartment entrance, but really, if there were a shortage I guess we would live off of our pantry for awhile. Don't know how long that would last.. he he. But I hope it goes ok for you guys. That's pretty crazy. Good thing your stores, school, and church are close by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary! What a great reminder to NEVER let your tank go below half. I am lucky because I can walk to Target, Albertsons,and Smiths if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this also cause your gas price to go sky high? What does a gallon of gas cost in Georgia these days? I just notice today that here is Utah we just went under 3.50 at 3.46 that was a great sight to see. I wonder if the gas shortage will hit here? I am filling up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember in the late 70's and early 80's when there were lines and shortages. For a while you could only get gas on odd or even days depending on the last number of your liscense plate.

    Interesting. I think we're in for some interesting times with all this economic foolishness going on.

    by Keith Homer

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gas prices definitely went through the roof! Some were 5.oo and up. but then the regulators came in and now it's just between 3.89 on up through 4.00. Just depends where you go. It shouldn't affect you--this main line comes from TX to us. They said on the news last night that we don't have any major refineries by us that store gas--that's part of our problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arizona had the same thing happen a few years ago. It was crazy. The price jumped up and people were panicked to get gas. I am sure you will find yourself driving less for the next few weeks. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are just getting our gas prices under control here. We hit 3.50 the other day. We havn't been that low in almost a year. It is amazing how much we rely on things we don't think about.

    ReplyDelete