Monday, November 24, 2008

James

Easton has worked for two weeks on his 2nd grade biography project. He chose to research James Oglethorpe, the founder of Georgia. He had to write a little report, do a timeline of his life, and create a visual aid. He will present his report to the class. We finally finished last night and life is good. There were a few choices for the visual aid and Easton chose to make a doll of his hero. Well, that was quite the project. I know you're looking at his creation thinking that I did all the work. Easton helped with everything--he is very particular, you know. He was very thoughtful as he picked out the right fabric for his body. We created a pattern and he cut it out. I helped sew the body while he guided the fabric through the sewing machine. He stuffed it carefully and then we got to dress him. We dug through the scrap fabric bin and Easton designed a suitable outfit for James. His jacket is fabric from my dining room chairs that I recovered. His pants are leftover from a Christmas stocking Ashton sewed in 10th grade. The gold vest is from my friends curtains that I sewed and the gold trim is leftover from a costume I helped create for someone in Ashton's play last year. The hat was the biggest challenge of all. We used the directions in an old Curious George book--the one where he makes paper boats out of the newspaper boys' newspapers and sends them down the stream. After we made the hat we covered it in fabric. The black boots were created by Easton using a Sharpie on the fabric. And last of all, the sword was created by Stephen and Easton working together out of thin cardboard and foil. The written parts of the report were completed last night. Phew. Easton was in tears all morning while we were getting ready for church because he just didn't think he was going to be able to finish everything by Monday. Wow! He gets himself really worked up and stressed out. I'm glad were are finished. I loved the smile that was on his face this morning as he got on the bus carrying James in a bag. His ear to ear grin showed how proud he was of his accomplishment and life was good.

3 comments:

  1. Easton, You did a fantastic job on "James" he looks great!!! Good luck on your presentation today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved James. He will lmake your presentation come alive. I would like to know about James' life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James is freaking awesome Easton! I could never sew, so I'm glad your mommy knows how to help on your school projects. My girls- they won't be too jazzed knowing I don't sew. Maybe I should learn, it's never too late I suppose. Maybe I'll make a pillow case!

    I hope your project went well. Grandma Homer helped me with my projects all through school, even college. We were a good team. She helped me get good grades.

    Sheila, I'm glad you are such a creative little mommy.

    ReplyDelete