Monday, November 17, 2008

We are thankful for....

A few weeks ago I was sitting in Landon's honor chorus enjoying the melodies and harmonies of middle school choirs. Bzzzzz bzzzz bzzzz....my cell phone was buzzing. Ashton was texting me with questions about Dallin's cross country race outcome earlier in the morning. Bzzzz bzzzzz bzzzz...my phone buzzed again. It was Dallin texting me with questions about where I was sitting in the theatre. He was late and looking for us. Bzzzz bzzzz bzzzz...my phone buzzed again! This time it was Landon who was using a friend's phone to text me. He doesn't have his own yet. He too wanted to know where we were sitting so he could find us after he performed. All of this buzzing from three of my children took place within about 5 minutes. What would we do without cell phones and the ability to communicate with each other? We are so connected. Sometimes too connected but we are grateful for communication. Grateful to talk to family and friends whenever we want. In college I remember the dreaded phone conversation with family. It was always such an urgent thing--"This is costing money. We need to hang up. Dad's giving me the look. Well, we better go. You know a stamp is cheaper than a phone call." Always a rush. Guilty feelings when I would call for no reason. Things have certainly changed. Ashton calls constantly--we love it and are thrilled that we can communicate as often as we do. I love the sense of security I feel when I have my phone with me. I'm connected to my family wherever I go and I like that. I feel comfortable leaving my children home because I know they can reach me. Easton always calls at least once when Stephen and I are on a date. He calls Stephen whenever he wants during the day. What a great thing for a child to be able to have his needs and questions immediately taken care of and to feel a connection with a Mom and Dad who love him.

5 comments:

  1. I too am thankful for communication and cell phones, but I would have a problem if I lost my phone, because I dont know anyones number with out it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Love the cell phone! I too remember the calls home from college. My dad would say "It's not Sunday!" if I called any other day of the week. Also, love that I can call Allan on the way home from work and ask him to pick up something from the store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cell phones,,, again,,, mainstream about 10 years ago. Texting- only about 7-8 years ago. Kids actually had to communicate with other kids. In high school, when you wanted to hang out with someone, you actually called their house number and talked to their parents and said, "Is so and so there?" - "Do you know where they are?",,, "could you have her call Janelle?" And if you couldn't find your friend, you had to call all your friend's houses, and if you couldn't find them, then you had no activity that night. It's a lot different for kids now.

    And I remember that we had to talk really fast and I kept hearing,,, "Hurry, it's long distance." The words 'long distance' were stressful for me as a 5-10 year old. Were calls really that expensive?

    I do think that it is wonderful we have texting and cell phones, don't get me wrong, but I'm just thinking back to high school days,,,(15 years) freaking out that I'm already talking about the 'good old days'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cell phones ---aaaaahhhhh. Because I did not use them often, I could never remember how to turn it on, etc. In the olden days, we got along fine without the cell. People were more organized maybe? Russell does not like taking his with him when he gets out of the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had another thought. Maybe the childlren were more independent in my day since we could not contact our mother every minute, we had to be on our own and feel homesick. Or had to solve a problem on our own, or had to write letters, or had to meet friends and arrange outings. etc. etc. But I do like calling MY children when I need them.

    ReplyDelete