Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Moment

It was a good morning. As I unwrapped Easton from the tangle of sheets and blankets to wake him my thoughts turned to my brother, Brad, the ultimate sleeper as a child. Come to think of it, he still is. His head wrapped turban-like with his yellow quilt that was stitched with love by Grandma James. Buried under blankets--no head showing at all. I wondered how he could breathe and be alive under all the layers. Nice little memory.

Happiness was on display for me all morning....Easton actually got out of bed with a smile and energy. Not sure why, but I liked it. He got dressed quickly, wore an old favorite shirt of Landon's that he finally fits into. He thought it was too big, I convinced him that he had grown and my how he's grown! The chilly air encouraged a warm breakfast, scrambled eggs, and butter toast from last nights' leftover french bread. Juice. Looking out the window Easton was in awe of the beautiful sunrise that could be seen over the horizon. Impressed with the purple, blue and yellow stripes the rising sun created, Easton demanded pictures. Hurry! Take pictures. There were descriptions of eye-catching colors and discussion of being up early and being able to appreciate a beautiful moment while others are just looking at the insides of their eyelids. The clock stood still. Teeth were brushed with care and rooster tails strategically smoothed. Shoes on and we were waiting for the bus. Why do we have extra time today? Well, let's read a library book while we use up the last five minutes. A walk down to the end of the driveway, crunching leaves and noticing the missing impatiens in the garden that were pulled out. Easton will miss popping the seed pods and watching the seeds shoot out. There's always next year. The bus comes. A look out the bus window, a wave, a smile, AND I get a kiss blown to me! A good morning, indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a lovely post.

    I remember Brad's blankets too. It honestly was wrapped around his face and head like 3 times. It's the craziest thing you've ever seen. Gorgeous pictures. I haven't seen the sun rise in a long time. And, I can't remember the last time I woke up energized and ready for the day. Thinking back now, how did I used to hear the alarm, jump up and hit the shower and be in the parking lot at BHS in 30 minutes? I am sooooooooooo slow in the mornings now. Nothing pressing I guess,,, for years. Except Kaitlyn now who is out and about before I wake up. yikes. How cute that he even blew you a kiss. That won't happen much longer I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! It sounds like a good morning--how'd you get so lucky?

    ReplyDelete