Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We are thankful for....

November 5 Dallin picked music as something that we are thankful for. I couldn't agree more. It seems to me that as my children get older their appreciation for music continues to grow. Music has always been an important part of our home. My children's love of music stems from Stephen's and my love of music. The children have been raised listening to all types of music--pop, classical, and MoTab are just some of the musical sounds that enrich our listening. I believe that exposing our children to all forms of music has helped them appreciate it. My kids are content listening to the Tabernacle Choir or the "cool" sounds of modern rock. When they hear the choir on the tv it seems to draw them into our room to watch. They have an appreciation of good choirs. Because all of the children have participated in choral groups in school they have an understanding of what it takes to create beautiful music. They enjoy being able to use their voices to create beautiful sounds.

I'm grateful that my parents provided me with the opportunity to take piano lessons. This has touched my life in so many ways. All of my children are currently taking lessons or have had them. I hope they will appreciate the musical talents they have developed and will continue to use them.

Music is powerful. It can inspire us and bring about emotions. I have many memories attached to different songs. I loved singing Grandpa James' camp songs when we were traveling as a family in the car. I sing them with my children now. Remember...."When Sammy put the Paper on the wall...he spilled a pot of paste upon us all. (what's a sawl? is what Craig said as a little boy when we sang that song.) My kids remember the feelings they had when listening and dancing to Grandma's CD, Cuban Fire. We love jamming out to the Motab's song, Elijah Rock! The kids have all sang various versions of that in their choirs. Dallin and Landon have a cleaning song that is played on Landon's keyboard when they are cleaning their room. They heard that song on a commercial the other day and I head them say, "It's the cleaning song!" I remember listening to Dad sing in his quartet when we lived in Washington. I thought he was so cool. He Ain't Heavy and The Candy Man were my favorite songs. Stephen's Mother and Aunts have beautiful voices and have been singing and performing since they were young. My children have a wonderful legacy of music that has come from both sides of our families.

As we head into the holiday season and start listening to the sounds of Christmas we are grateful for all types of music that enriches our lives and causes us to feel. Music touches our emotions in ways that words cannot. We look forward to feeling the spirit of Christmas through our music.



5 comments:

  1. Great post Sheila! I too have appreciated music and the feelings it fills me with. I constantly get the chills and goosebumps during good harmonies and powerful endings to music. You forgot to mention Easton's plea,,, " I need Josh Doban mommy"... that's my favorite and we constantly say that. Kaitlyn has now learned when it's music time in our home. I turn the ipod on and she actually asks for Josh Groban. It's so cute. The other day when I had the mo tab on, she said Josh Groban?... So I taught her that it's the 'choir'. She now says 'choir' when she hears them singing. Maybe someday we'll all live in Utah and can join the choir together. you've only got 17 years left of eligibility. better hurry up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right--CD 4-track 13--it was in my car for years. Now who knows where it is. and it was Doss Doban. That's a cute memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is something to be grateful for and something I wouldn't have thought of. I count down to Nov.1 so I can legally start listening to Christmas music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love music also - even though I can not harmonize or know when I am off key. It doesn't bother me. I loved directing the Primary children for a time. It is nice to hear that my children appreciate the efforts we made.. I'm sorry for getting mad when you would not practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last Sunday my Sunbeam lesson was "Music makes me happy". I don't know anyone who this does not apply to. Even though Craig and I missed the music gene we still love it, and hope our boys will continue with theirs.

    ReplyDelete