Friday, November 28, 2008

Mmmmmm

We have the blessed opportunity to eat Thanksgiving dinner at Stephen's brothers home. I say blessed because that means I just have to make my yummy little side dish and appear at Michael and Jeni's home at just the right time to sit down to a wonderful feast. My side dish that I bring every year is my Mother's homemade cranberry sauce. It is absolutely yummy. My kids gobble it up. Easton said last night,"You know what the best part about Thanksgiving dinner was? Cranberry sauce!" That kind of says it all. Read on to find out how to make this tasty treat.Here I am getting ready in my kitchen to create. Use an apron because those little cranberries can make quite a mess.These are the ingredients you will need. 2 bags fresh cranberries, 1 can crushed pineapple (drained), 1 1/2 cups sugar, 6 medium apples (peeled, cored).Crush the cranberries and apples in a meat grinder that looks like this. I had to buy a grinder when I moved to Georgia so I could make this traditional recipe. I have tried food processors in the past and they just don't give it the right texture, it's better smashed rather than chopped. After grinding the apples and cranberries add the drained pineapple and sugar. Stir and chill. The finished product! It is great with turkey. I like to just eat a serving plain. It won't last long and it's good for you!

3 comments:

  1. Do you know that I've still never made cranberry sauce! I seriously have never made like half of the things that are traditions in the family. Yep, still have not made a lemon ice cream pie or homemade gravy. I need to do that soon. I am on a kick though of cooking new things. Did I tell ya I made buttermilk pancakes from scratch. Now those were tasty. See, I am doing better in my kitchen duties. Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the cranberry sauce is yummy!! It really should be made more than once a year.

    Janelle, I think I have made more "Homer" dishes then you. I've made cranberry sauce, lemon ice cream pie, egg casserole among others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I got to to somewhere for Thanksgiving and just bring a dish. Oh well some day. We also love Cranberry Sauce. It is a must for Thanksgiving. Dalton even took a little bowl of it in his lunch today. He eats it by the spoonful.

    ReplyDelete